Chips and Technologies
C&T fue comprada por Intel en 1997, principalmente por su negocio de chips gráficos, que utilizaría para el dearrollo de sus propios chips (primero como placas individuales, luego integrados en el chipset).
C&T also designed a 386-compatible microprocesador known as the Super386 38600DX/38600SX using clean room design techniques, but this chip never enjoyed as much success as the 386 CPUs produced by Intel, AMD, and Cyrix. C&T 38605DX had 512 byte cache, but РGA (144 pin) package was incompatible with 386 socket.
Chips and Technologies fue el primer fabricante en ofrecer un chipset compatible VGA aparte de IBM, el C&T82C451, aperturando el mercado de tarjetas gráficas compatibles IBM. Le siguieron inmediantamente compañías como Trident Microsystems, Western Digital, Cirrus Logic, Oak Technologies, y otras, hasta saturar el mercado.
Chips and Technologies provided the Wingine video card, a very high speed framebuffer that sat in a proprietary local bus slot on supported motherboards. Epson y JCIS fueron dos fabricantes que fabricaron placas madre de PC implementando el slot de Local Bus Wingine. El Wingine es popular entre los usuarios de NEXTSTEP para procesadores Intel, as it was one of the highest performing video cards supported by the operating system.
- C&T65520 (Max Ram: 1Mb, Max Dclk: 68MHz@5V)
- C&T65525 This chip is basically identical to the 65530. It has the same ID and is identified as a 65530 when probed. See C&T65530 for details.
- C&T65530 This is a very similar chip to the 65520. However it additionally has the ability for mixed 5V and 3.3V operation and linear addressing of the video memory. (Max Ram: 1Mb, Max Dclk: 56MHz@3.3V, 68MHz@5V)
- C&T65535 This is the first chip of the C&T655xx series to support fully programmable clocks. Otherwise it has the the same properties as the 65530.
- C&T65540 This is the first version of the of the C&T655xx that was capable of supporting Hi-Color and True-Color. It also includes a fully programmable dot clock and supports all types of flat panels. (Max Ram: 1Mb, Max Dclk: 56MHz@3.3V, 68MHz@5V)
- C&T65545 The chip is very similar to the 65540, with the addition of H/W cursor, pop-menu acceleration, BitBLT and support of PCI Buses. PCI version also allow all the BitBLT and H/W cursor registers to be memory mapped 2Mb above the Base Address. (Max Ram: 1Mb, Max Dclk: 56MHz@3.3V,68MHz@5V)
- C&T65546 este chip se fabricó especialmenta para Toshiba, y su documentación está hoy disponible ampliamente. It is believed that this is really just a 65545 with a higher maximum dot-clock of 80MHz. (Max Ram: 1Mb?, Max Dclk: 80MHz?)
- C&T65548 This chip is similar to the 65545, but it also includes XRAM support and supports the higher dot clocks of the 65546. (Max Ram: 1Mb, Max Dclk: 80MHz)
- C&T64200 This chip, also known as the WinGine, is used in video cards for desktop systems. It often uses external DAC's and programmable clock chips to supply additional functionally. None of these are currently supported within the driver itself, so many cards will only have limited support. Linear addressing is not supported for this card in the driver. (Max Ram: 2Mb, Max Dclk: 80MHz)
- C&T64300 This is a more advanced version of the WinGine chip, with specification very similar to the 6554x series of chips. However there are many differences at a register level. A similar level of acceleration to the 65545 is included for this driver. (Max Ram: 2Mb, Max Dclk: 80MHz)
- C&T65550 This chip includes many new features, including improved BitBLT support (24bpp colour expansion, wider maximum pitch, etc), Multimedia unit (video capture, zoom video port, etc) and 24bpp uncompressed true colour (i.e 32bpp mode). Also memory mapped I/O is possible on all bus configurations. (Max Ram: 2Mb, Max Dclk: 80MHz@3.3V,100MHz@5V)
- C&T65554 This chip is similar to the 65550 but has a 64bit memory bus as opposed to a 32bit bus. It also has higher limits on the maximum memory and pixel clocks (Max Ram: 4Mb, Max Dclk: 100MHz@3.3V)
- C&T65555 Similar to the 65554 but has yet higher maximum memory and pixel clocks. It also includes a new DSTN dithering scheme that improves the performance of DSTN screens. (Max Ram: 4Mb, Max Dclk: 110MHz@3.3V)
- C&T68554 Similar to the 65555 but also incorporates "PanelLink" drivers. This serial link allows an LCD screens to be located up to 100m from the video processor. Expect to see this chip soon in LCD desktop machines (Max Ram: 4Mb, Max Dclk: 110MHz@3.3V)
Similar to the 65555 but incorporates 2Mbytes of SGRAM on chip. It is the first Chips and Technologies chipset where all of the registers are accessible through MMIO, rather than just the BitBlt registers. (Max Ram: 2Mb Only, Max Dclk: 130MHz@3.3V)
- C&T69030 Similar to the 69000 but incorporates 4Mbytes of SGRAM on chip and has faster memory and pixel clock limits. Also includes a second display channel so that the CRT can display independently of the LCD. (Max Ram: 4Mb Only, Max Dclk: 170MHz@3.3V)